Happy Turkey Day!
Thanksgiving is a time for family, tradition, and food. Lots and lots of food! This year with my family traveling up to Massachusetts, my little brother on base in the Marines, and my boyfriend’s family hundreds of miles away in Maryland I needed a recipe that would travel and package well. And cookies are a staple of the holiday care package. Keeping with the Thanksgiving theme I was inspired by Kitchen Simplicity’s latticework cookies and these Apple Pie Cookies were born.
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Butter – Paula Deen Approved Recipe
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 3/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
Apple Pie Flavor Topping
- 1 Cup Apple Juice or 1/2 Cup Apple Juice Concentrate
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
1. Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl.
2. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract. Then add sifted flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Divide dough in two and refrigerate for an hour.
3. Meanwhile, boil the Apple Juice in an uncovered saucepan until reduced to a light syrup (be careful not to burn because that’s a scary sticky mess) and allow to cool.
4. Roll the two dough clumps out on a floured surface to 1/4th inch thickness. Continue reading